For many, advertising – it is a way of attracting the attention of the masses to any product, service, type of activity. And if it fulfills its task, few people are interested in its features. Meanwhile, advertising can be contextual or targeted, and there are significant differences between these ways of promoting products, which we will talk about below.
What is contextual advertising
The principle of action of this advertisement is based on the fulfillment of the client's requests, and three types of this marketing method can be found on the Internet:
- Search advertising. It is as simple and clear as possible – after entering the control word into the search engine, a selection is issued with obvious offers and links where the request can be implemented. Let's say you are looking for potted flowers, type this phrase and get a list of organizations that sell this product – both flower shops and kiosks in the city, as well as online stores.
- Thematic advertising. It is usually found on websites, and when you go to the resource using the link in the search engine, you can see similar products there, as well as related products. For example, after going to an online flower shop, on its page, in addition to the potted plants you need, you can see offers about bouquets, artificial grass, seeds and seedlings with links to various resources.
- Behavioral advertising. The search engine remembers all previous queries, and if the history is saved, in response to a computer search, the site with flowers in pots will be included in the provided list.
- The main advantage of contextual advertising – ease of searching for the desired products, and Google Corporation is one of the leaders in this direction.
What is targeted advertising
Targeted advertising works differently, it aims to show ads on social networks, apps or sites to a specific group of people with selected parameters. Using publicly available data and applying filters, the system gathers the target audience. Here is an example - hiking equipment or sports equipment can arouse interest in men aged 30-45 who prefer active leisure. Among the advantages of advertising:
- Show your products exclusively to the target audience. For this, all important parameters are set - gender, age category, place of residence, social characteristics. As a result, a portrait of a potential client is created and an audience is gathered, which with a high percentage of probability will be interested in the offer.
- Personalization of offers. For any group, you can create creative ads in different formats, videos, text blocks or images using headlines and key words that take into account the user's problem.
- Quick check and optimization. Targeted advertising uses tools such as testing and statistics, tracking the most successful offers and feedback from a particular audience. Changes can be made instantly, which helps the company to optimize costs.
- Simplicity of getting clients. If you use myTarget tools correctly, you can quickly identify your own audience to sell your product to.
Difference between ads and combination possibilities
The main difference between contextual and targeted advertising is in the approach itself. The first shows ads to a user who enters a certain query. The second one first selects users for its product, taking into account their age, gender, behavior and other characteristics, using data from social networks and other resources, and only then offers an advertising product to the target audience.
Interestingly, these two mutually exclusive ads are quite capable of working in tandem, which will help attract more users. The myTarget platform, using the "Contextual Targeting" function; allows you to solve such a task.